Studying abroad isn't economical, but that doesn’t mean you empty your bank account. It's entirely possible to have a nice time when keeping to a budget for studying abroad. It totally depends on how you plan your budget and when to start that planning. Fortunately, we are here to help you and give you a budget guide.
- . The first thing to find out is how much travelling you would want to do while studying abroad. Typically, if not every weekend, the students travel three out of four weekends each month. It's so easy to travel to different countries on the weekends particularly while studying abroad in Europe. Hence, travelling expenses has to be kept in mind while planning to study abroad.
If you plan to travel to ten different countries while studying abroad, your travel expenses would range from $30-$200. You would probably spend around $1,500 in total on traveling alone. Make sure to keep that in mind while calculating your budget for your study abroad.
- . The next thing to take care of is accommodation. As far as lodging goes, hostels, AirBNB or discount hotels are usually the best choices for your study abroad budget. Hostels are usually $15-30 per night depending on what type of room you prefer to rent. As far as AirBNBs are concerned, usually the cheapest ones are further from the city center and you'll end up breaking even with the travel fees. If you are ready to share the place with friends, AirBNB is a choice to consider.
- . The next expense to calculate while planning to study abroad is the transportation costs. Most airports in busy cities are at least half an hour to an hour away from the city centre. Train, taxi, or bus travel from the airport to downtown can range from $15-30 one way. There are usually economical public transportation options once you're in town, but single trip tickets can add up to your expense. Do online research on passes to the metro or multi-day tickets for the city you're visiting. Be prepared before you go, and find the cheapest alternatives.
- . Food ends up being one of the largest travel expenses. Eating out for every meal is enticing, because there's so much tasty and traditional food to try. It is recommended that you pick and try the popular foods in each town once. Cheaper than hotels, almost all hostels have kitchens and grocery stalls. Consider cooking your own meals (particularly breakfast) and then choosing only the best places to eat out. You should expect to spend around $100 every time you step out to eat.
- . Shopping is one expense that you can control as you can do without shopping in case your budget is too restricted. When buying mementos avoid tourist traps and be sure to notice the price mentioned on the product that you are planning to purchase. Try to control this expense because of all the expenses, it is most easy to control. Never spend more $10 while shopping at a single place.
- . Different activity costs vary depending on the nation where you are trying to do that activity and what it is. Admission to a museum can cost up to $15 ( you can request for the student discount). A canal cruise can cost as much as $20. Pub-clubbing usually cost around $20. If there is something bigger that you want to do or experience like skydiving or paragliding, the cost is going to come up to the hundreds. If you want to do tons of things, the best thing to do is to look up whether there is a mix card. Also nearly every city has free walking tours if you want to get the experience the vibe of the city and learn and understand about the history and culture.
Depending on how far you flew, you might have racked up a bill of somewhere between $2,000-5,000 at the end of your time at university. If you've gone outside with the intention of seeing and experiencing the world, then it's worth it! You just have to be informed and ready. Also, make sure to select the country you plan to study in wisely. Your overall budget of studying abroad would depend a lot on your choice of country.
At Xpertvis International, we help you with budget planning and also facilitate in getting education loans towards the same. For more info, please contact +91-9811554136 or visit us at www.xpertvis.in.